The Health & Safety team`s mission is to provide a world class business partnering service to the Regional Operations Teams and the support functions. We assist and advise the business to ensure workplace, fire and security safety of employees, customers and the safety of authorised suppliers, contractors and members of the public entering or residing around our properties. We endeavour to support and protect all stakeholders through the application of workplace Health and Safety regulations, guidance and best practice.
By working with the Operations Teams you will develop ownership of H&S at all levels within the region by providing coaching, training, support and advice on health, safety, fire, security and employee wellbeing. We focus on developing positive working environments that encourage people to work safely because they want to.
- Share ideas, skills and knowledge, and identify areas for improvement and recommend solutions within own expert area and across your region/city.
- Liaise with others as appropriate to work collaboratively with other departments within the business.
- Escalate any areas of risk to your Line Manager (Regional Health and Safety Manager).
- Support the delivery of third-party Health and Safety Audits and Fire Risk Assessments, and support the completion of actions post-audit/assessment
- Perform regular inspections and monitor workplace H&S, fire safety and security performance to identify areas for improvement, and ensure that appropriate corrective or preventative actions are taken, including follow-up reviews
- Support regional teams to understand and develop workplace risk assessment. Provide specialist support where required
- Support with embedding health and safety policy, procedures and guidance. Feedback to group function on the practicality and effectiveness of these arrangments and associated documentation
- Support the collation of information following an accident, incident or fire
- Allocation of appropriate administration time to meet department and business objectives
- Actively commit to personal and professional development
- Align with other Regional Operations Team members to deliver Regional objectives as specified by the Regional Safety Managers and Head of Operations
- Proactively support the strategy of the Health and Safety Team
- Promote and comply with Unite Students policies and procedures in the delivery of services and treatment of others - Accept that on occasions you may be required to work unsociable or extended hours due to business needs, or in response to incidents
What We`re Looking for in You
- Experience of providing H&S advice and guidance in the workplace
- Holds appropriate professional qualifications - minimum standard is NEBOSH certificate or recognised equivalent (or working towards).
- Team-spirited and proactive with a positive and "can do" attitude to work, colleagues and clients; ability to build credibility internally and externally
- Possesses good interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written) including negotiating, relationship building and influencing skills
- Demonstrates a practical, hands-on approach, willing to take ownership of problems, and to develop and execute solutions effectively
- Capable and experienced in working without supervision, whilst maintaining an awareness of one`s own limitations
- Good organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise and work effectively and successfully within demanding time frames
- Previous experience of presenting effective training course
What You`ll Get in Return
- An annual bonus so you can share in the company`s success
- 25 days` paid holiday
- Pension - based on how much you save, we`ll contribute 1% more
- Flexible working opportunities
- Shared Parental Leave - 18 weeks full pay
- Other benefits include, ShareSave, Bike to Work, Charity Match, amazing discounts and more!
About Unite Students
Founded in 1991, Unite Students is a FTSE 100 business and the UK`s leading provider of purpose-built student accommodation. You can find us in 25 leading university towns and cities, with 74,000 students calling US home! We are driven by our values, culture, and a commitment to develop diverse and inclusive teams, filled with positive energy and new ideas.
Instinctive inclusion. We know that to create and maintain a happy healthy organisation, we have to work hard to ensure inclusion isn`t just what we do but who we are.
People make Unite Students. Employees, students and neighbours all contribute to building environments where we can all thrive.
Room for Everyone
We`re proud to be an employer that embraces individuality, and we`re passionate about building inclusive teams. We focus on creating a collaborative culture where you can be you, where your voice is heard, and where you can truly belong. We take great pride in being rated Gold Investors in People and are constantly striving to provide the highest standard of learning and development opportunities and professional pathways for our people. Building a home for success, for both our employees and students, requires exceptional people with a passion for creating room for everyone, doing what`s right, keeping US safe, and raising the bar. Join us as we build better experiences for students that live with us.
We are US.