An experienced Joiner is required to join our team in Edinburgh
Essential: Driving licence valid for driving in the UK
The Joiner role is varied and challenging, covering a number of our properties, where no day is ever the same. As a Joiner, working within a friendly and supportive team, you will be playing a vital role in ensuring that students living in our properties have a great experience.
This role requires for you to have a full UK driving license.
What you`ll be doing as a Joiner
- Acting as a technical specialist for reactive and planned joinery services
- Resolving a variety of general maintenance issues and problems including but not limited to:
- Completing first and second fix on flooring, roofing and stairs
- Repairs of windows and mechanisms
- Working with suited locking systems, both mechanical and electronic
- Installations, maintenance and adjustment of fire doors and frames
- Completing planned inspections and rectifying any remedial works
- Working closely with Maintenance Operatives resolving a variety of general maintenance issues and problems
- Ensuring that all works are conducted to the highest safety and quality standards and in line with regulations
- Following up on customer or property related issues
What we`re looking for in you:
Although you may not have worked in the accommodation industry before, what is really important to us is that you:
- Hold a qualification in a wood trade to a minimum of City and Guilds 6706 Level 3, or NVQ 2 equivalent (England) or SVQ Level 2 (Scotland)
- Have experience in a customer facing role and thrive on delivering against customer needs
- Have developed a good knowledge of Health and Safety legislation
- Are a first class team player who demonstrates a positive and collegiate attitude, and strong communications skills
- Can work flexible hours (including some weekends), taking part in the on call rota
- Are computer literate (training will be provided for the use of our PDA system)
- Are able to work at a fast pace, whilst maintaining a high level of accuracy, using initiative when needed
What you`ll get in return
- Regular shifts with guaranteed hours each week
- An annual bonus so you can share in the company`s success
- 25 days` paid holiday
- Pension scheme - based on how much you save, we`ll contribute 1% more
- Shared Parental Leave - 18 weeks full pay
- We`ve earned a Gold award for Investors in People so you`ll be working for an employer who really cares about you and your career
- Other benefits include, ShareSave, Bike to Work, Charity Match, amazing discounts and more!
About Unite Students
Founded in 1991, we are a FTSE 250 business and the UK`s leading provider of purpose-built student accommodation. You can find us in 27 leading university towns and cities, with close to 75,000 students calling uS home! We pride ourselves on delivering excellent service to our customers; no-one knows students better. Our purpose is to provide a Home for Success for the students that live with us, and a workplace to thrive and grow for the people who work with uS. Click to find out more about life at Unite
Room for Everyone
We`re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and we`re passionate about building inclusive teams. We focus on creating a collaborative culture where you can be yourself, where your voice is heard and where you can truly belong. It is important to us that our people reflect the diversity of our students and the communities we work in. We celebrate being different and work together to be the best we can be.
If this position sounds exciting to you, we would love to receive your application!
As part of our commitment to safeguarding our students, all new employees in this position will be required undertake a basic criminal recordcheck prior to commencing employment. The cost of this check will be incurred by Unite Students.Any offer of employment will be subject to asatisfactory criminal record check result.€€€€€€€
Please be assured, we are continuing to recruit for the vacancies advertised on our Jobs page and will be taking every precaution necessary, in line with Government and WHO guidelines, to ensure the health and safety of our candidates, employees and customers during the recruitment process.
While Government restrictions are in effect, all recruitment will take place without any physical contact; we will be using video interviews and telephone interviews to help you to bring your application to life from home!
If you have applied for a job with uS, we will be in touch with an update on your application soon. Thank you.