Technology at Unite Students
We`re all about creating a Home for Success for our students, using technology and data to empower them to find their home, their tribe and have a great stay with us through their studies.
Fast Paced. Innovative. Curious. Inspiring. Inclusive. Providing a home for 74,000 students in more than 170 buildings, the success of our customers, colleagues and partnerships are the measure of our work; we take our goals seriously, knocking them out of the park whilst having fun and helping each other grow. Prop-tech is an exciting sector and you`ll be part of a team that is redefining the end-to-end experience for our customers and introducing new ways to add value through products, technology and data. Our ambition is to run the best platforms and experiences in the sector and we`re investing in people and technology. Building an inclusive team that is diverse is essential- it`s what makes us, uS. We`re passionate about building a team that respects, celebrates, and thrives from, the different experiences diversity of thought can bring. Whether you`re interested in Marketing, Digital, CRM, Property Maintenance, Robotics and Automation, DevOps, Cloud and Data Engineering, Smart Building and IOT - or all of it! - there`s a place for you in our Technology Team. We`re here to make a difference across the board.
Cloud Enablement and Infrastructure
We have a cloud-first approach, and we`re here to help the rest of our technology colleagues adopt the technologies and tools they need to be successful. Weensure the smooth running of complex and distributed systems and implement inventive solutions to maintain system reliability, security, performance and scalability.
This exciting role lies within the Enterprise Services team and reports to the Head of Enterprise IT Systems. The role holder is responsible for managing and continuously improving the IT infrastructure and IT Security Operations of the business. This is a hands-on role managing a small, high performing team. Whilst management experience is desirable, this role could suit someone wanting to move from a pure technical role into one which also involves team, strategy and supplier management.
You will be responsible for maintaining strategy, budgets, roadmaps, team development/training, deliverables and managing a number of key suppliers ensuring agreed SLAs are met. This role covers a wide range of technologies, including public cloud (Azure and AWS) so a strong technical background will be essential.
What you`ll be doing
- Provides strategic direction and oversight for the design, development, operation, governance framework and support of IT systems and applications that fulfil the needs of the business. This includes, but is not limited to, Cloud governance, Security governance, cost optimisation and lifecycle management.
- Provide end-to-end support and out-of-hours escalation for IT Infrastructure services via a customer-friendly, technically astute and driven IT Infrastructure and SecOps team.
- Contribute to the strategic direction of new technologies and platforms on which the companies systems will run. All new development to be done with consideration to customer need, governance (e.g. security, cost control, availability, capacity) and how these systems will be integrated into the business and supported by the wider IT function.
- Provide strategic vendor, supplier and partner relationship management, ensuring cost effective delivery and value from all incumbents, including regular performance reviews and industry comparatives.
- Working with the wider IT department, drive the adoption and commitment to continual service improvement.
- Drive Agile maturity and CI practices throughout the teams.
- Drive the development of relevant technology standards, reporting, governance processes and performance metrics.
- Develop greater automation and an `infrastructure as code` approach to infrastructure management.
- Working closely with the InfoSec team, ensure all systems and processes maintained by the SecOps team are well manged and meet or exceed industry standards.
- Ensure high availability of our business-critical Infrastructure and support services with customer service mindset.
- Ensure Infrastructure DR and BCP processes are documented, regularly tested and fit for purpose across all technology areas.
- Ensure appropriate high availability for key systems including storage, networks, telephony and cloud hosting.
- Manage the Infrastructure and SecOps team members, ensuring their delivery against objectives and job descriptions
- Achieve SLA adherence on infrastructure related technology at all times
- Act as a technical authority and point of escalation for all Unite Students` infrastructure helping the business to quickly and effectively resolve issues
- Manage infrastructure project and work package requirements to time, high quality and within Unite Students infrastructure standards
- Ensure relevant processes and policies are implemented and reviewed regularly
What we`re looking for in you
- Proven experience within a 3rd line Enterprise level IT infrastructure support/project team
- Exceptional communication skills (written and oral) and customer focus
- Support experience of some of the following areas products;, Public cloud (Azure and/or AWS), Automation (e.g. Powershell, PowerApps. Puppet, Chef), Office 365, Virtualisation, Networking, Monitoring, Firewalls
- Experience of maintaining security operations solutions (e.g. AV, Patching, Firewalls, Anti-spam, SIEM).
- A keen technologist who understands current technology trends and is regularly developing knowledge and skill in new technologies
- Proven project delivery experience and an ability to operate autonomously
- Proven and demonstrable experience of escalation and incident management
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrable ability to mentor others
What You`ll Get in Return
- An annual bonus so you can share in the company`s success
- 25 days` paid holiday
- Pension - based on how much you save, we`ll contribute 1% more
- Flexible working opportunities
- Shared Parental Leave - 18 weeks full pay
- Other benefits include, ShareSave, Bike to Work, Charity Match, amazing discounts and more!
About Unite Students
Founded in 1991, Unite Students is a FTSE 250 business and the UK`s leading provider of purpose-built student accommodation. You can find us in 25 leading university towns and cities, with 74,000 students calling US home! We are driven by our values, culture, and a commitment to develop diverse and inclusive teams, filled with positive energy and new ideas.
Instinctive inclusion. We know that to create and maintain a happy healthy organisation, we have to work hard to ensure inclusion isn`t just what we do but who we are.
People make Unite Students. Employees, students and neighbours all contribute to building environments where we can all thrive.
Room for Everyone
We`re proud to be an employer that embraces individuality, and we`re passionate about building inclusive teams. We focus on creating a collaborative culture where you can be you, where your voice is heard, and where you can truly belong. We take great pride in being rated Gold Investors in People and are constantly striving to provide the highest standard of learning and development opportunities and professional pathways for our people. Building a home for success, for both our employees and students, requires exceptional people with a passion for creating room for everyone, doing what`s right, keeping US safe, and raising the bar. Join us as we build better experiences for students that live with us.
We are US.