A Head of Health and Safety is required to join our business on a permanent basis. The location for this role is flexible. Regular travel throughout the UK will be required.
WHAT THE HEAD OF HEALTH AND SAFETY JOB INVOLVES:
Joining our fast-paced Operations business, this Head of Health and Safety position will be driving Health and Safety Standards and a positive Health and Safety culture across the business.
You will be responsible for the management of Regional Health and Safety team ensuring that customers and stakeholders have confidence in the safety of the buildings that Unite Students provide and manage.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing all aspects of Health and Safety including risk assessments, auditing and training
- Representing Health and Safety on the Group Health and Safety Exec Board, Committee, Management Board
- Review Health and Safety performance and determine the adequacy of the existing systems, making recommendations for change
- Create and implement programmes and procedures to manage the identified risks
- Work across our portfolio of properties to support the identification, sharing and adoption of best practice
- Reviewing major accident potential and implementing prevention techniques
- Reviewing existing systems, making recommendations for change if required
- Setting annual Health and Safety objectives for the operations teams
- Reporting on and presenting monthly and annual activity/ performance reports to the Board
- Working closely with senior stakeholders to ensure awareness, understanding and commitment to Health and Safety
- Working with the business to achieve buy in and support for safety initiatives across the business
WHAT WE LOOK FOR IN YOU:
Although you may not have worked in our sector before, you will have significant senior management experience in Health and Safety within a property or facilities management environment.
It`s important to us that you have:
- People management and leadership experience including development of team members, performance management and motivation
- A relevant degree or a similar level qualification and are a Chartered member of IOSH
- Significant experience of delivering advice and guidance on Health and Safety issues to Board level and senior management
- Demonstrable track record of delivering measurable improvements in Health and Safety within a large commercial, multi-site environment
- A good working knowledge of fire safety
- Highly skilled in understanding, empathising and delivering against customer needs
- Availability and willingness to travel across the UK
ABOUT UNITE STUDENTS:
We`ve been the leaders in the purpose built student accommodation market since our foundation back in 1991 and have been at the top of our game ever since. We`ve grown a lot since then and you can now find us in 28 different university towns or cities, with close to 50,000 students calling us home!
Unite Students is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome people of all ages, ethnicities, religions or sexual orientations. We`re only interested in your talent, your potential and your personality and in offering you an environment where all three can develop and grow - regardless of your background. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.